Bistros, brasseries, cafés, clubs, restaurants, pubs … Paris is a city of a thousand places, for all budgets and tastes. And since the bars of a city are (almost) as important as its sights, here are our favourite venues for having a drink in the French capital. Santé!
1. Harry’s New York Bar
- Neighbourhood: Opera
- Why it’s a great bar: Legendary Parisian landmark and world-renowned for its whisky collection. Once a favourite hangout of F. Scott Fitzgerald and Ernest Hemingway in the 1920s.
- Drink you must try: A whisky!
- How to get there: Located at between the Avenue de l’Opéra and the Rue de la Paix. Take the metro to Opera.
2. Le Point Ephémère
- Neighbourhood: Saint Martin’s Canal
- Why it’s a great bar: Underground and trendy, it’s the kingdom of rock fans, with exhibitions, shows, concerts…
- Drink you must try: the Mojito is great
- How to get there: 200 Quai de Valmy, 75010, on the Saint Martin canal, in the Xème arrondissement. Take the metro to Jaurès.
3. Café de Flore
- Neighborhood: VI arrondissement – Saint Germain des Prés
- Why it’s a great bar: Since 1887, this art-deco style brasserie has been chosen by artists and intellectuals such as Picasso and Jean Paul Sartre. The atmosphere is bohemian and you can just sit and soak up the history.
- Drink you must try: hot chocolate or coffee
- How to get there: 172, Boulevard Saint Germain. Take the metro to Saint Germain des Prés.
4. Le Fumoir
- Neighbourhood: Louvre
- Why it’s a great bar: Superb location, trendy atmosphere, good drinks and food at reasonable prices
- Drink you must try: a glass of wine during happy hour from 6-8pm
- How to get there: 6 Rue de l’Amiral Coligny. Take the metro to Louvre – Rivoli
5. Chez Jeannette
- Neighbourhood: Faubourg Saint-Denis
- Why it’s a great bar: Good atmosphere, good music and good interior decor. In the evening the bar is lit by candles – a cosy hangout for friends… or lovers
- Drink you must try: Cocktails
- How to get there: 47 Rue du Faubourg Saint-Denis. Take the metro to Château d’Eau or Strasbourg-Saint-Denis
6. La Villette Enchantée
- Neighbourhood: La Villette
- Why it’s a great bar: Covers all bases – restaurant for lunch, bar for after work, club for nights and weekends, plus it hosts festivals
- Drink you must try: Everything!
- How to get there: 211 Avenue Jean Jaurès. Take the metro to Porte de Pantin
- Neighbourhood: Bastille
- Why it’s a great bar: Touch base with your wholesome side at this no-frills juice bar and organic café. Nice interior decor and happy staff.
- Drink you must try: Non-alcoholic drinks: juices and smoothies
- How to get there: 53, rue Charenton. Take the metro to Bastille or Ledru-Rollin
8. Les Piétons
- Neighbourhood: Châtelet
- Why it’s a great bar: Tapas bar, Almodovar decor, welcome to Spain in the middle of Paris!
- Drink you must try: Mojitos
- How to get there: 8 rue des Lombards. Take the metro to Châtelet
9. Le Café
- Neighbourhood: Les Halles
- Why it’s a great bar: French bar/restaurant with a little cosy terrace, you can eat until midnight, close to the most famous street of Paris : “la rue Montrogueil”. Keep your eyes peeled – sometimes you can meet celebrities !
- Drink you must try: Coffee, beer, cocktails
- How to get there: 62, rue Tiquetonne. Take the metro to Les Halles
10. La Coquille
- Neighbourhood: Les Halles
- Why it’s a great bar: Rock music and not much space – which is why it’s a great place to meet people
- Drink you must try: Beer
- How to get there: 30, rue Coquillère. Take the metro to Les Halles