South Africa is a spectacular country – exotic wildlife, tropical climate, delicious cuisine and unbelievable natural wonders.
When it comes down to it, how much do you really know about this destination? It’s always good to stay informed and this short list of fun facts is a great place to start(after all, it doesn’t hurt to travel prepared):
1. Rugby, cricket and football are the most popular sports. In fact, South Africa is the only country in the world that has hosted the World Cup matches of all three sports.
2. If you love drinking wine, you’ll be pleased to know South Africa has one of the oldest and most diversified wine production industries. Route 62 stretches over a distance of 528 miles and is the longest wine route in the world.
3. Although there are 11 official languages, the most commonly spoken is English.
4. Macademia nuts may have originated in Australia, but South Africa is currently the largest producer. Farmers must wait between five and twelve years for a tree to produce nuts… no wonder they are so expensive!
5. In South Africa you can drink water from the tap! In fact, in terms of quality, it’s the third best in the world.
6. You probably knew Africa is home to the big 5 (lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos and buffalo), but did you know South Africa has the third highest level of biodiversity in the world? It’s not surprising the country is full of wildlife reserves and natural parks dedicated to the conservation of flora and fauna.
7. Rovos Rail, also known as the pride of Africa, is the most luxurious train in the world. It even offers a golf tour!
8. In the region of Karoo you can find some of the most incredible dinosaur fossils.
9. Turns out, if aliens decided to land on South African territory, they would immediately be considered property of the state!
10. Excited to try South African cuisine? Some of the most popular traditional dishes include crocodile sirloin steak and fried caterpillars! Too extreme for your taste buds? No worries, if you prefer vegetarian food, there are many delicious dishes you can try, like kidney bean curry.
Feeling intrigued? South Africa has much more to offer, so if you’re considering visiting this incredible country, KLM UK offers plenty of regular and affordable flights!