Air tickets to the Czech Republic
Looking for cheap air fare tickets or discount airlines to the Czech Republic? Simply use the box on the right. Alternatively, find out a little more about the country before buying your air fare ticket.
Ten handy facts about the Czech Republic
- The countries of the Czech Republic and Slovakia came into being on 1 January 1993 when Czechoslovakia peacefully split in two.
- The "Velvet Revolution" of 1989 that overthrew the communist government was so named because it was achieved through peaceful mass demonstrations.
- Rivers that flow through the Czech Republic empty into three different seas; The Baltic, the Black Sea and the North Sea.
- The Czech Republic is comprised of two historic regions; Bohemia and Moravia. It also takes in part of Lower Austria and Silesia.
- The capital of the Czech Republic, Prague, was once the capital of Europe when, during the 14th century, the Holy Roman Empire was ruled by Charles IV, King of Bohemia.
- The highest mountain in the Czech Republic is the Sn?žka at 1602 meters.
- The unique Baroque Theatre in ?eský Krumlov holds only one performance a year when a Baroque opera is performed by candlelight.
- In Karlovy Vary, a spa–town, the largest spring rises from 3,000 meters underground and spouts 12 meters into the air.
- In 1805, Napoleon Bonaparte defeated the Russian and Austrian armies at the Battle of Austerlitz, near what is now the Czech Republic’s second city, Brno.
- The first beer brewing text book was written by the Czech, Frantisek Ondrej Poupe, in the 18th century.