Find air fare tickets to Egypt
If you are interested in the treasures of the ancient world, where better to start than Egypt? To find cheap air fare tickets or discount airlines to Egypt, simply enter details into the box on the right.
Ten handy facts about Egypt
- The vast majority of Egypt's 78 million people live on less than half of its landmass, congregating along the fertile banks of the River Nile and its delta.
- Champollion. He used the Rosetta Stone, discovered by the invading Napoleonic army in 1799; it had text written on it in both ancient Greek and Egyptian hieroglyphs.
- The existing Suez Canal was opened in 1869.
- The Egyptian Republic was declared on 18th June 1953.
- The Sinai region of Egypt is actually in Asia, not Africa like the rest of the country.
- Many historians and academics now believe the workers on the Pyramids were in fact paid craftsmen and not slaves, as originally thought.
- There are up to 110 surviving pyramids in Egypt.
- The Great Pyramid of Giza is the only surviving one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
- Egypt has three deserts: the Western Desert, the Eastern Desert and the Sinai Desert.
- At 2,642 meters, Egypt's highest mountain is Jabal Katrina in the Sinai.