Spending your lunch hour dreaming of intricately–carved temples, Buddhist shrines, tropical beaches and verdant landscapes? Stop dreaming and get going Opodo can help you book a low–cost, last–minute flight to Thailand today.
Ten handy facts about Thailand
Here are some tips and facts that may be of use when on your last-minute break to Thailand:
- Most road signs are written in Thai and English.
- Thai people are big on etiquette so why not read up on Thai manners as a courtesy before you go?
- The national flower of Thailand is Ratchaphruek, spot its gleaming yellow clusters during the summer months.
- Although tap water is clean, bottled water is recommended to drink.
- In a fix? The tourist police on 1155 (calls from within Thailand) might be able to help.
- It’s easy to travel around the country on inter–city buses (often air-conditioned) or express trains (some with sleeper carriages).
- Dress respectfully in the religious shrines.
- When Thai people greet each other, they don't usually shake hands, but instead press palms in a gesture called a wai.
- If you are lucky enough to be invited to a Thai home for dinner, it is polite to remove your shoes before entering.
- Thailand has never been a colony of any Western country in its history.