Contrary to what you might think, fat biking has nothing to do with obesity. This trend, which involves riding bikes with incredibly large tires, was initially introduced in Alaska as a means of crossing snowy, challenging terrain with greater ease. Now, the “sport” has spread to UAE where enthusiasts use these vehicles to explore the sand peaks of Abu Dhabi’s Rub al-Khali or Empty Quarter.
Still not sure what all the fuss is about? Here are 5 reasons why you should book your flights to Abu Dhabi and try fat biking:
1. Abu Dhabi is a spectacular city that provides many opportunities for sports enthusiasts. Aside from fat biking, you can also try Wadi–bashing and sand–skiing.
2. Fat biking is a great way to admire the sand dunes at your own pace.
3. If you do not approve of camel trekking, it can be a great alternative to explore the desert.
4. When it comes to sustainability, this method of transportation is one of the most eco-friendly alternatives.
5. At the end of the day, cycling around in the desert for 1-2 hours is a fantastic workout!