Flight and hotel Salzburg
A flight to and hotel in beautiful Salzburg
Austria's Salzburg is a romantic city filled with Baroque architecture so remarkable that the city's historic centre has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Located on the German border, Salzburg offers city breaks with fine views of the Alps.
As the birthplace of Mozart and the setting for The Sound of Music, Salzburg has a longstanding musical history, which is yours to explore during a weekend in the city.
Preparing for package holidays in Salzburg
Your flight from London or Manchester will land at Salzburg Airport (SZG), the second-largest international airport in Austria. The city uses Central European Time, making it only one hour ahead of the UK and an easy destination for city breaks. Grab some euros and brush up on your basic German, as this is the official language of Austria. However, most areas of the central city offer services in English for holidaymakers.
When should you book your weekend in Salzburg?
Before booking your flight to and hotel in Salzburg, consider when would be your preferred time to visit the city. Salzburg is wonderfully located in the Alps, and many travellers choose to partake in skiing and hiking on package holidays. The best ski conditions can be enjoyed between December and early March. Salzburg has a lovely climate for exploring its historic city centre, particularly between May and October.
What is there to do during city breaks in Salzburg?
Salzburg offers a charming combination of history and modern Austrian culture. Musically inclined visitors will want to see what's made the city famous, including Mozart's birthplace, a Sound of Music tour, or a concert at one of the city's many churches. Salzburg is home to fine examples of Baroque architecture, and viewing them by day or night is a pleasure, particularly on clear days when the Salzburg Fortress and the Alps are in view. City breaks in Salzburg in the summer provide holidaymakers with lovely gardens to explore, the most famous being those of Mirabell Palace.
Sites to see on package holidays in Salzburg
With plenty of activities to fill your weekend, these are some highlights that mustn't be missed:
- Walk through the Altstadt: The old city of Salzburg is a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site. During your walk, check out Mozarts Gerburtshaus, the birthplace of Mozart; the famous monasteries of St Peter's and Nonnberg; and the Salzburger Dom Cathedral, where you may be able to take in a concert.
- Wander up to the Salzburg Fortress: This 11th-century structure, which overlooks Salzburg's historic city centre, is a great location for taking photographs or learning more about the area's history.
- Go on a Sound of Music day trip: Many companies offer walking or bus tours of the famous sites from the film The Sound of Music – re-enact some of your favourite scenes!
- Enjoy the best of the Alps: The area is the ideal base for enjoying the Alps, with ski resorts such as Zell am See and Untersberg within easy reach.
Culinary delights in Salzburg
Austrian food is rich, comforting and flavourful! Here are a few dishes to try and locations to visit on package holidays in Salzburg:
- Breakfast bounty: In traditional German style, breakfast in Salzburg will leave you well prepared for the day of sightseeing ahead – feast on several types of bread (notably schwartzbrot, made of wheat and rye flour), sweet spreads, cheeses and meats.
- Fresh markets: Salzburg has many outdoor food markets with local vendors – pick up some fresh produce and typical Austrian meat at the Grünmarkt, and then enjoy it in one of the city's many parks.
- Salzburger Mozartkugel: This marzipan, pistachio, nougat and dark chocolate treat named after the city's most famous composer can be found at Café Konditorei Fürst, where it was first made in 1890.
- Cake and coffee: Many Austrians enjoy cake and a coffee with family and friends – make like a local and visit the city's cosy cafés to dig into rich pastries and cakes, including Vienna's famous Sachertorte.
Souvenirs to help you remember your time in Salzburg
In addition to a box of Salzburger Mozartkugel, you can pick up crafts or brandies made by monks at St Peter's Abbey as unique souvenirs of your time in Salzburg. Other popular souvenirs include memorabilia related to The Sound of Music or seasonal gifts including handmade Christmas tree ornaments and Easter eggs. Salzburg is filled will winding cobblestone streets, and you're sure to find a unique souvenir as you wander around discovering the city.