If you are between 18 and 30 years old and are contemplating starting fresh in a distant land, how about spending one year working in Australia? All you need to do is get your hands on a Working Holiday Visa.
Continue reading and find out how you can get your Working Holiday Visa and what you should do once in Australia.
Who can apply for the Working Holiday Visa?
To be eligible for this visa you must:
- be between 18 and 30 years of age
- have a valid passport
- be outside the country when you submit you application
- have approx. 2,500 GBP in your bank account
How to apply for the Visa
The good news is that applying for a Working Holiday Visa is very simple. To submit your application, go to the official Australia Working Holiday Visa website and follow the instructions provided. The cost of the visa is 420 AUD (about 226 GBP). Once the application has been submitted, you will receive an answer anytime between 24 hours and 3 weeks. The visa is valid for 12 months from the moment you enter the country.
Note: The cost of the visa will not be refunded under any circumstances, not even if your request is denied.
How to get to Australia
Many airlines operate flights to Sydney: Air China, Cathay Pacific, Air France … if you can spare the expense, book a direct flight.
- From London, the flight takes around 22 hours.
- The best time to travel is from May to October.
- The time difference is + 9 hours.
Some things to keep in mind once you get there
Before you start job hunting, you should get your Tax File Number (TFN). The TFN is essential, as companies use it to identify prospect candidates; without this number, you will not be able to start working.
To obtain it, visit the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
Once you’ve been issued your TFN, nothing else stands in your way… start scheduling your interviews!
Where to sleep
If you’re searching for affordable accommodation, consider the following options:
- If you’re not too picky, “Backpackers”, or youth hotels, are relatively inexpensive
- Depending on the job you find, some even offer you a place to stay for free
- Rent a room and share an apartment with locals
So, are you ready to go? Or maybe you’re already been? Drop us a comment and tell us all about your experience!