If you’re about to fly Lufthansa and don’t want to get stuck paying extra baggage fees then pay good attention to what you’re about to read.
Here’s everything you’ll ever need to know about Lufthansa’s baggage policy.
Lufthansa’s Hand Baggage Allowance
Allowable pieces of carry-on baggage are dependent on the type of ticket booked:
If you exceed the permitted free baggage allowance by number, dimension and/or weight you will be charged a flat excess baggage fee.
Permitted in the cabin as an extra item of hand luggage with a maximum size of 30 x 40 x 10 cm are: laptop bags, hand bags, one baby carrier per child or a child’s car seat or a foldable pushchair/buggy (that may be stowed in the cargo hold) and wheelchairs/orthopedic aids like walkers etc.
Lufthansa’s Checked Baggage Allowance
The maximum size of any checked baggage regardless of class is 158 cm (width + height + depth) – anything larger will be subject to excess baggage fees.
Anything heavier than 32kg will not be accepted and should be sent as air cargo at air cargo rates.
The allowance again depends on the ticket booked and your destination.
Flights Within Europe
With the new Economy Light fare baggage up to 23kg can be checked for just €15 per direction via the MyBookings section on Lufthansa’s website.
Careful: adding the baggage at the ticket counter or gate costs you €30 and €40 respectively.
All baggage fees are non-refundable.
- Briefcases with alarm devices
- Any pressurized containers
- Easily ignitable items like matches
- Any petrol-operated equipment
- Self-balancing electric vehicles (segways, Solowheels etc.)
- Radioactive material
- Corrosive substances (acids, alkalis etc.)
- Poisonous and infectious materials (quicksilver, bacteria, virus cultures)
- Containers of flammable liquids (cleaning products, paint, varnish etc.)
- Explosives, flares, or fireworks
- Any substance that emits flammable gas when touching water
- Tasers and other electro-shock weapons
- Heavily magnetic materials
Other Useful Info
Flights within the EU apply the following restrictions to liquids in carry-on baggage:
- Liquids and gels with a maximum printed quantity of 100ml
- Containers must be carried in a plastic bag and presented at airport security
- Medicine can be transported outside the bag but must be presented at security
Duty free liquid goods must be brought aboard in a sealed bag.
Sports baggage (like skis, snowboards, bicycles etc.) is carried free of charge provided it’s within the size limits and can be registered up to 24 hours before via the reservation hotline (+49 (0)69 – 86 799 799).
For bulky baggage items and and special baggage like musical instruments special tariffs can be applied by contacting the Lufthansa Service Team.
Children under two have a one piece baggage allowance up to 23kg while children over two have the same baggage allowance as adults.
Do you have any questions? Be sure to hit us up in the comments below!