Did you already think of Abu Dhabi as your next travel destination? Maybe not. But did you know that with Etihad Airways, you can have a two-night stopover in Abu Dhabi for free! Let’s check out what you can do during these two days.
Day 1 – Heritage discovery
Uk residents don’t need to request a visa prior to traveling. After landing in Abu Dhabi, just proceed to the immigration desk, you’ll obtain a 30-days visa. Once you get out of the airport, you’ll need approximately 30 minutes by taxi to reach the city center. For your first day, discover the traditions and heritage of the UAE.
Falconry in UAE
Instead of going directly to the city, you can enjoy a truly unique experience close to the airport: visit the Falcon Hospital. Falconry is important in Emirates culture. For centuries, falcons have been used to hunt, Now it is still a popular sport. During the tour, you will:
- discover this ancestral tradition
- see treatments like feather repair
- visit an indoors free-fly area
- have the chance to take a picture with a falcon on your arm
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to observe these majestic animals. The tour lasts 2 hours.
Abu Dhabi Heritage Village
Dive further in the Emirati culture by visiting the Heritage Village. What was Abu Dhabi like before the oil boom? Far from the modernity and luxury, wander from a fishermen’s village to a desert camp and discover what Abu Dhabi looked like before the ’70s.
Buy souvenirs in Abu Dhabi
The perfect place to bring home a unique souvenir of your trip to Abu Dhabi is the souk. In these traditional markets, you can buy food, spices, but also handicraft like carpets or jewelry. Here are some of the souk in Abu Dhabi:
- Al Ain Souk also called the Old Souk
- Carpet souk on Mina Road
- The Gold Souk in Madinat Zayed Shopping Centre
- Food: Fish Souk at Mina Zayed, and across the street Al Mina Fruit & Vegetable Souk
Sunset at Sheik Zayed Mosque
Sheik Zayed Mosque stands out as one of the largest mosques in the world and without a doubt the most astonishing building in Abu Dhabi. We advise you to start your visit before sunset. The lights reflecting on the white marble walls are fascinating.
The entrance to the mosque is free, avoid going there on Friday as it’s the prayer day. Keep in mind that to visit the mosque, you’ll have to wear large clothes and women will be asked to wear headscarves.
Day 2 – Seaside in Abu Dhabi
For your second day in Abu Dhabi, what about enjoying the seaside? Walk along the Corniche, an 8km long waterfront pedestrian path. On the way, you’ll see plenty of cafes, restaurants or playground to take a well-deserved break. Don’t forget your swimsuit to cool off at the Corniche Beach.
Follow the coast to arrive at the first 7 star hotel in the world, the Emirates Palace. You can visit it even if you are not a client and admire its marble and gold hall. If you want to have an experience of a lifetime order in Le Cafe a cappuccino with… golden leaf! The most luxurious drink you’ll ever have!
To finish the day, what about a panoramic view of the whole city? Go to the Jumeirah Etihad tower near the Emirates Palace, and go up to the 74 level at the Observation Deck at 300. Up there you can drink tea while admiring a 360º view on Abu Dhabi’s skyline.
And here are some more things to do in Abu Dhabi:
- Louvre Museum – the iconic museum on the island of Saadiyat is definitely a must-see in Abu Dhabi! It opened in November 2017, is the first universal museum in the Arab World that translates the spirit of openness of cultures and the largest art museum in the Arabian peninsula
- Qasr Al Watan – the impressive part of the Presidential Palace opened in March 2019 and you can learn a lot about the wealth of Abu Dhabi, its culture, traditions, and knowledge.
- Qasr al Hosn – this historical landmark is one of the oldest and most significant buildings in Abu Dhabi.
Fun and excitement
- Have fun in the amusement parks Yas Waterworld, Ferrari World and the newly opened Warner Bros World – they’re all located on Yas Island!
- Are you a Formula 1 fan? Then don’t miss the free cycling on Sunday & Tuesday on the Official F1 Circuit of Abu Dhabi!
- If you’re into golf, Abu Dhabi is the perfect destination for you – five world-class golf courses: Abu Dhabi Golf Club, Yas Links Abu Dhabi, Saadiyat Beach Golf Club, Abu Dhabi City Golf Club, and Al Ghazal Golf Club.
- Join a desert safari and spend a night in one of the Bedouin camps in the desert.
- Do a kayak tour through the natural mangrove forests close to the city.
In Abu Dhabi, you’ll find everything you wish for an extended shopping trip! There are several shopping malls, with all kind of fashion & luxury items:
- Yas Mall on Yas Island
- The Galleria on Al Reem Island
- Abu Dhabi Mall in the City Centre
- Marina Mall in the City Centre
To visit Abu Dhabi without facing high temperatures, the ideal period is from November to March.
Etihad Airways offers you the chance to add Abu Dhabi to your bucket list! In these two days, you’ll be able to sense the atmosphere in Abu Dhabi between luxury and traditions.