Texas-based American Airlines is the world’s largest airline by fleet size, revenue, and scheduled kilometres flown.
Combined with its regional partners American hosts 6,700 daily flights to 350 destinations in more than 50 countries – that’s a lot of check-ins, so we don’t want to forget to familiarise ourselves with their check-in procedures to stay out of trouble!
The quickest way to check in with American Airlines saves time and gives you more flexibility.
The online check-in windows:
- Domestic: between 24 hours and 45 minutes before scheduled departure.
- International: between 24 hours and 90 minutes before scheduled departure.
- Service can be used for any AA bookings whose first flight is with American Airlines, American Eagle, AmericanConnection, Iberia, British Airways or Japan Airlines.
- Select the ‘check in’ tab at the website aa.com
- Enter your booking reference number and full name
- Select the passenger(s) and follow the instructions
- Upon check-in you’ll be issued a boarding pass to print and take to the airport.
Reminder: if you can’t print you can still collect your boarding pass by presenting your passport at an American Airlines check-in counter or by sending it to your phone via email.
You can check in with American Airlines using your mobile’s web browser at their site aa.com or after downloading their Android or iPhone mobile application.
Whether you check in through their website or via the American Airlines mobile application you’ll simply need to select the option ‘Email with Mobile Option’.
- Check your email and get the link to your boarding pass
- Download the boarding pass to your mobile device
- Present the bar code at airport security on your mobile
The list of American Airlines airports accepting mobile boarding passes can be checked here.
Checking In Your Luggage Online
If you want to check in your luggage online you’re free to do so – simply drop it off at the American Airlines Bag Drop area when you arrive at the airport.
Airport check-in can be done either at the American Airlines ticket windows or via the Self-Service Check-In machines,
American Airlines recommends arriving at the airport to check in 90 minutes before scheduled departure for domestic flights and two hours before departure for international flights.
Again, you must be checked in 30 minutes before scheduled domestic departure and 60 minutes before schedule international departure to be able to fly.
A list of exceptions by airport can be found below:
Do you have any questions? Don’t hesitate to write us in the comments below.